Sunday, March 18, 2012

Review : My Zojirushi NP-HBQ10 Rice Cooker (Part 1)

Before I start off with my rice cooker review. Let me briefly tell you what I had been using all these while.

This is my old rice cooker. The big one belongs to my Mother-In-Law. The small one is mine. My mother gave it to me. All of us loved this rice cooker so much because of it's petite size. It can only cook upto 3 cups. That is juuuuust nice for us. The big rice cooker is more suitable for party time tho. Haha...

Seriously, I don't feel like throwing away the mini rice cooker that my mama gave me. I just keep it.

As all of you aware, I've got myself a new Zojirushi Rice Cooker that cost me alot.


I love eating rice. I'm rather particular and opinionated on how rice should taste. But people always says rice makes me fat. Serve me some noodles, porridge, bread, pita & whatever, and I’ll kindly stick up my nose and pout about the lack of plain rice to eat my meal with. Okays, I shall cut the crap about myself.

Here's the function available on this rice cooker...


Another reason why I spent so much for this rice cooker is because it comes with stainless steel inner bowl. It has real heavy weight. I like it.

And another impressive part is that, the upper detachable lid is also stainless steel. In which, none of the Tiger rice cooker models has this. This lid is a real thing!


It has this steam vent set on top, to capture the steam water. Detachable and washable.


This morning, I decided to give it a try. But I'm not really hungry. So, I just cooked half cup of rice. I used Japanese Sakura Hitomebore Rice here. Added the water according to the white rice level. The water indicator is really really useful.


Pressed Regular White Rice on the menu and start cooking. 45mins later, my rice finally ready. It looks ordinary when it's just cooked.


But when I loosen the rice, the rice gives me a deliciously fluffy texture.

Side track abit... Saw the rice paddle? The rice paddle comes with little bumpity bumps, which are supposed to help with mixing your rice and is supposed to keep rice from sticking to your paddle. Unfortunately, I don’t like the paddle, as rice still sticks to it. If you want to keep it rice-free, you’ll need to have a little bowl of water to store it in, otherwise when you store the paddle in the holder, the rice will simply crust on it.

Let's take a close look at the rice.. Nice?


Ahhh... The rice tasted utterly fantastic.


And let's see the fluffiness... It doesn't looks only nice looking. It taste delicious too.

It’s not just it’s immediate taste; there’s a distinct aftertaste with the rice that is, in fact, sweet and tasty. I appear to be addicted to the rice, which isn’t exactly the greatest thing when you’re trying to lose weight.

Let's add some furikake on top...


What about making it into Onigri?

Yummm~!!!

In overall, this rice cooker produces very delicious rice on a consistent basis provided you use the correct amount of water and the setting.With Extended Warm, keeps rice moist and fluffy for a much longer period of time without drying up. It's easy to clean outside and inside too. For the cons part, so far the rice paddle not the greatest, which it doesn't really affect me. I can always get another one.

Upcoming next, I will blog more about my experiment on my rice cooker. The next one would be GABA Rice.

Stay tuned!

Do make sure you read up my Part 2 and Part 3 review too.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm interested in this rice cooker cos of the GABA rice function. In your opinion is the rice same as the GABA rice you bought from Isetan? Cos from what I understand GABA rice need to soak more than 20 hours. The rice cooker soaks it for 2 hours is it enough to germinate the brown rice? Thanks 😊

    ReplyDelete