Sunday, March 25, 2012

Review : My Zojirushi NP-HBQ10 Rice Cooker (Part 2) - GABA Rice

I've given my 1st review on my rice cooker not long ago. Tested the review about cooking white rice using normal white rice function. The result was really good. I cooked brown rice two weeks ago, but I don't have the time to post it. So, now here it is.

Because of the Zojirushi Rice Cooker that I wanted to buy has a function named GABA. Before I buy the rice cooker, I tell myself that I really wanted to know what the hell is all about. I read alot about rice and I did some research. I wanted to make sure that the price that I'm paying for such good technology rice cooker is worthwhile. As I mentioned, the rice cooker has GABA setting that not all rice cooker have.

Before anything else, I'm gonna side track abit and talk about the rice, just to give you a clearer picture. I come to realize that the GABA is actually related to Hatsuga genmai (発芽玄米 germinated brown rice). It is one of the most nutritious rice promoting in Japan. Basically, it is unpolished brown Japanese rice that we are talking about.

A week before I buy my rice cooker, I went Isetan Orchard to hunt for Germinated Brown Rice, and I've got this pack of 2kg Japanese Germinated Brown Rice. Cost me S$19.90. Mad expensive. And all the instruction manual is not surprisingly... Japanese. Duh!


It is said that this rice has a softer texture than brown rice and a pleasant fragrance, yet retains the health benefits of brown rice and is marketed in Japan as a health food product. This rice is produced by soaking washed brown rice in warm water for dunno certain degree for 3 days or something. This cannot be done at home. So, they do it, and sell it to the market at such a damn expensive price.

Take a close look at the germinated rice. It's been germinated by a special process, but still retain it's brown in color. The bran of the rice has been removed, the germ remain.


For the 1st time I cook this, I didn't mix it with white rice, and it was a disastrous! Until I carefully see the picture of that packaging (I can't read Japanese!!). Then I came to realize that I need to add white rice to cook together with it using regular white rice function. The 2nd time, it was much better because I cooked it correctly. So, I conclude, this pack of rice is meant for people who own basic rice cooker at home, but wanted to enjoy germinated brown rice. So, for those who do not have a higher end rice cooker with GABA setting, buy this. I have to be frank, it's delicious.

This is part of the reason why my rice cooker is so expensive. It has GABA function! Wuahahahaha!!!

This GABA setting on the menu activates brown rice for increased nutritional value. Well, since I've got GABA function on my mighty rice cooker, I've get myself a pack of medium grain brown rice and give it a try then!



Cooked a cup normal white rice using Quick cooking setting, it takes me about 20 to 25mins. While I'm still using my old basic cooker for brown rice cooking, I will normally pre-soak my brown rice for 1 hour and then take another 25-30mins to cook it. Little did I know that by doing that, I actually spent 1 hour 30 minutes hour to get my brown rice cooked. Insane, right? But I can tell you, it pays to eat good rice. Because apparently, it’s the same way with this new one, taking anywhere from 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes to cook brown rice.

As if that wasn’t crazy enough, the GABA setting on my mighty rice cooker will take at minimum 3 hours and 15 minutes to cook! According to the instruction manual, the rice cooker will begin activating the brown rice, after which will start cooking automatically. During the brown rice activation process, the temperature in the Inner Cooking Pan is kept at about 40 degree Celsius for 2 hours. Insane!

Still, I cooked a batch of brown rice using the GABA setting. I do it over the weekend.


I was sold totally when it is said that by activating brown rice, GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), a naturally occurring nutrient in brown rice, increases to 150% of the amount contained in non-activated brown rice. This process also makes brown rice softer, thus making it readily edible. So, you still don't know what is GABA? It is actually a type of amino acid said to lower blood pressure, relieve stress & many other health benefit. Replenishing GABA to the body can also help fight insomnia, depression and other neurological conditions. Researches also found that a regular intake of GABA helps improve kidney function, lower blood pressure and reduce sleeplessness. MIGHTY RICE!!! :D

So, are you sold by now? Hehe...

The rice was nice, fluffy, tender and not at all like the horrible brown rice you get served all along. Eating brown rice cooked with GABA setting is really a great way to eat a little healthier while avoiding the full blast grainy texture that people usually hate about brown rice. Seriously, I never liked brown rice like the one I'm having now.


Although this rice is stickier than the normal rice. But if you look carefully, you can see how loose & fluff the kernels of rice are.



Take a close look. Did you see the rice has a brown line on every grain, and there's a tiny germ kinda thing stick at the end of the grain?




I’ve eaten exceptionally good rice before at high end Japanese restaurant in Singapore. The rice that made me want to eat another bowl. There was a definite difference!

This GABA rice is the rice that really makes me wanna eat one bowl after another. 3 hours and 15 minutes cooking time, I would say, it's worth the wait.

I love my rice cooker! :D

Next time, I will get myself a pack of Japanese short grain brown rice instead. Stay tuned!

Do make sure you read up my Part 1 and Part 3 review too.

5 comments:

  1. Hello,

    This particular rice cooker does excellent GABA brown rice in 3+ hours, thank you. But when I try it with a timer (i.e. to be ready first thing in the morning) then it tastes a little different, not quite right. Do you know a way around this ?

    Also, have you used the pressure-cooker varieties of the above device: they're very expensive but I wonder if they cook tastier rice -- both white and brown ? (However in Singapore I couldn't find the model that does GABA.)

    Thank you.

    -Barin (barin@singnet.com.sg)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Can you tell me how did you cook the GABA rice from Isetan? How much white rice and how much GABA rice? Also how much water. Thank you very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I recently bought a zojirushi rice cooker with GABA option. I also bought GABA rice on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Koshihikari-Premium-Sprouted-2-2-Pound-Pouches/dp/B003ZXCE7G

    Do you recommend cooking GABA rice without mixing white rice using the GABA setting? or should I just buy the regular brown rice and cook it using GABA setting?

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If pre-germinated rice, you have to mix with white rice when cooking. This method is more expensive because pre-germinate rice is costly. If you already have the rice cooker that is capable to germinate your own brown rice, it would be better. But the GABA setting is time consuming tho.

      Delete
    2. If pre-germinated rice, you have to mix with white rice when cooking. This method is more expensive because pre-germinate rice is costly. If you already have the rice cooker that is capable to germinate your own brown rice, it would be better. But the GABA setting is time consuming tho.

      Delete