Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Spicy Stir Fried Winged Bean (四角豆)

Winged Bean is one of the vegetable that is not commonly seen in Singapore, but very common in Malaysia. In Singapore, general supermarket usually don't sell this. But if you are lucky, you will found it in wet market sometimes. According to the Wikipedia, it is also known as Goa bean and Asparagus Pea or Winged Pea. But in Malaysia & Singapore, we  usually called it Four-angled bean, or 四角豆 "si-jiao-dou" in Mandarin.
Whatever. As long as it taste good. Hahas...

I saw it at Tebrau City Jusco JB over the weekend. And from the packaging, I get to know that the Malay name of winged bean is Kacang Botol. Shame on me! I had been staying in Malaysia thru my entire childhood time and eating it so often. Now then I know this is called Kacang Botol.

I won't google it, write grandfather story here about winged bean and pretend that I know alot about it. Infact, I really know very little about this vegetable. I only know that this vegetable is good, crunchy in texture and it has slight slimy substance when it's cut. Other than Okra / Lady Finger, this is another good source of collagen from the vegetable.


How to cook this?

Seriously, I don't have any special idea. What I know here is the general way of home style cooking the winged bean that I learnt in Malaysia. Yea... It's spicy stir fried. It is the most appetizing way of preparing this vegetable I assume.

Ingredients
  • 400g of Winged Bean
  • 200g of minced pork
  • 2 cloves of Garlic, chopped
  • 1 red chilli, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 small piece of belachan (about a thumb size)
  • a tablespoon of cooking oil
  • a pinch of sugar, salt & dashes of pepper to taste
Method

1. Washed winged bean, cut diagonally. Set aside.

2. In a saucepan, oil, chopped garlic, chopped red chilli, chopped onions, belachan. Fry till fragrant.

3. Add in minced pork, give it a toss. Add in winged bean, and toss.

4. A splash of water onto the wok, toss, and cover it up for awhile, open the cover, toss, and cover it up again.

5. Belachan itself is very flavorful and salty. So, you got to taste before you add any salt. If it is salty enough for you, no need to add salt. Add a pinch of sugar instead. It will slightly enhance the taste. And finally, dash abit of pepper, give it another quick toss. Off the heat & serve.

It's easy. Right?


I hope you like it :)

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete