Thursday, March 15, 2012

Wallet Eggs (荷包蛋). The best & simple way to enjoy fried eggs

I made this over the weekend. Nothing special to hoo-haa about. I just cracked two eggs on my pan. Fried my eggs plainly. No other crap out of it. Although I know many other ways to prepare egg dishes, but still, I love eating fried eggs in a simple way. And for no reason, sometimes I will crave for it.

Now take a look at the naked eggs dancing on the pan...


When we are eating out, we always eat eggs with something. In an omelette, or a sandwich, or a toast to soak up the runny but gooey yolk, or whatever. Because the list will goes on and on if I were to continue to write about it.

There are many different terms to describe fried eggs. But the common ones that we usually recognised is fried eggs, sunny side up or over-easy ...
  • A style known simply as 'fried' — eggs are fried on both sides with the yolks broken until set or hard. This is what I'm doing now... And I love it.
  • 'Sunny side up' — cooked only on one side; yolk is liquid; the egg white is often still a bit runny as well.
  • 'Over easy' cooked on both sides; the yolk is a light runny and the egg white is not fully cooked. It's also commonly referred to as dippy eggs. (Dipping toast into the yolk while eating).
The Chinese fry the egg on both sides, often lightly salted or with soy sauce (or fish sauce). Which I always did. It can also be garnished with sliced spring onion. It is called 荷包蛋, which is literally "Wallet Egg". This is it... The egg yolk just done nicely, with abit soft in texture, but not runny. The side of the egg whites is gently charred, but not over cooked.



My beautiful 荷包蛋 (Wallet Eggs) with fish sauce dressing. Why is it fish sauce? Because eggs and fish sauce is "perfect-match". You could use the traditional way by using soy sauce. I do, sometimes. Depends on my mood. I could even caramelized it with a gently burnt soy sauce. I think this is the best and simple way to enjoy fried eggs.

So, are you gonna fry some Wallet Eggs for yourself tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment